Dean Mead’s Tax Department handles tax planning issues for businesses and individuals. The attorneys in our department have extensive experience in a full range of tax specialties and areas, including sales and purchases of businesses, mergers and acquisitions, tax planning for real estate transactions, debt restructuring, tax controversies, state and local tax issues, agribusiness, employee benefits, ESOPs, and with all types of business entities, including LLCs, S and C corporations, partnerships, charitable and other not-for-profit organizations.
2013 Seminar Series
Dean Mead’s Real Estate Development Industry Team kicked-off the 2013 Seminar Series with a timely presentation on March 27 in front of 80 attendees at the Orange County Bar Association in Orlando. The presentation featured Dean Mead attorneys, Stephen R. Looney, Charles H. Egerton, and Steven C. Lee.
The program was titled: “Will the Recent Tax Changes Have a Major Impact on Your Real Estate Investments?”. They discussed the recently enacted American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012, together with the new 3.8% tax on investment income that was added to the Code as part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, but first became effective for tax years beginning in 2013, are likely to have a significant impact on real estate investments. This program explored these new provisions as they relate to real estate and examine the use of both new and old strategies to minimize their impact to the extent reasonably possible.
We have also provided the attached outline from the presentation.
2012 Florida Legislative Update
Dean Mead hosted the “2012 Florida Legislative Update” in Orlando on May 3rd and in Viera/Melbourne on May 10th. Attorneys Mason Blake, Jonathan Wallace and Christine Weingart talked to attendees about key legislation for Florida’s business and real estate community that was enacted in several areas. All in all, they covered 14 Bills that were passed in the Florida legislature including:
- Tangible Personal Property Ad Valorem Tax Exemption (HJR 1003 November 2012 General Election Ballot)
- Uniform Commercial Code-Secured Transactions (HB 483 Chapter 2012-59 Laws of Florida)
- Growth Management – DRIs (HB 979 Chapter 2012-75 Laws of Florida)
- Sale of Business Transfer Taxes (HB 103 Chapter 2012-55 Laws of Florida)
- Growth Management (HB 7081 Chapter 2012-99 Laws of Florida)
- Implied Warranty for Subdivision Improvements (HB 1013 Chapter 2012-161 Laws of Florida)
- Unemployment Compensation (HB 7027 Chapter 2012-30 Laws of Florida)
- Construction Liens (HB 897 Chapter 2012-__ Laws of Florida)
- Condominium Bulk Buyer extension (HB 517 Chapter 2012-61 Laws of Florida)
- Corporate Taxes (HB 7087 Chapter 2012-32 Laws of Florida, and HB 5701 Chapter 2012-145 Laws of Florida)
- Uniform Statewide Environmental Resource Permitting Rules (HB 7003 Chapter 2012-94 Laws of Florida)
- Water Quality Criteria Bill (HB 7051 Chapter 2012-3 Laws of Florida)
- Administration of Property Taxes (HB 7097 Chapter 2012-193 Laws of Florida)
- Property Insurance (HB 1127 Chapter 2012-80 Laws of Florida)
A full video presentation recording is provided here from the seminar held in Orlando. If you would like to receive additional materials, please contact us at email@example.com.
Pitfalls and Planning for the Tax Consequences of Loan Workouts and Debt Restructuring
Our Tax Department works closely with our real estate, litigation and health law attorneys to provide our clients with advice for structuring or planning their transactions in the most tax efficient manner possible. The expertise of our team allows us to focus on a wide array of tax issues with an unparalleled degree of depth and experience to address our clients’ needs.
The majority of our tax attorneys have Master’s Degrees in taxation, many are board certified as experts in tax law by The Florida Bar, a few members hold CPA certificates, and two members are Fellows of the American College of Tax Counsel. Three members of our Tax Team have been honored as the “Outstanding Tax Lawyer of the Year” by the Tax Section of The Florida Bar. Additionally, several members of our Tax Team have been named as “Outstanding Tax Attorneys” by The Best Lawyers in America®, Chambers USA, Legal 500, Florida Trend magazine, and Orlando Magazine. In addition, one of the firm’s founding shareholders, Charlie Egerton, is the immediate past Chair of the American Bar Association (ABA) Tax Section.
Additional Information on Tax:
- Business Entity Formation and Operation (Partnerships, LLCs, S Corporations, and C Corporations)
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate Tax
- Tax Controversies
- Tax-Exempt Organizations