Dean Mead’s Tax Department handles tax planning issues for businesses and individuals. The attorneys in our department have extensive experience in a full range of…
About Dana M. Apfelbaum
Dana Apfelbaum helps clients create estate and business plans to meet their tax and non-tax goals. This includes the preparation of wills, trusts, powers of attorney, health care documents, and business and investment entities and continued advice through the life and evolution of those things.
Dana practices in the areas of federal income, estate, and gift tax law and family business succession planning. She counsels individuals in estate planning, with an emphasis on implementing the client’s objectives, asset protection and minimizing wealth transfer taxes. She also represents fiduciaries through all stages of probate, estate and trust administration. In addition, she is Board Certified by the Florida Bar as an expert in the area of Wills, Trusts and Estates.
Represented the retiring owners of a business, in which she assisted in the sale, in connection with their post-retirement estate planning needs, including creation of wills, trusts, and other gifting vehicles.
Represented a client moving from the northeast in establishing Florida residency, moving his plan to Florida, and creating a flexible, inter-state plan.
Key Legal Services
Let's Work Together
We would love to talk with you about how we may assist you. However, please know that contacting us through this page does not establish an attorney-client relationship; no attorney-client relationship will be established until you and we agree to representation. You should not send us any confidential information through contact from this page or until requested by the attorney, and we will not treat any information you choose to provide as confidential.
- The Florida Bar: Tax Section: Secretary, New Tax Lawyer Division - Co-Director, Marketing, and Membership co-chair for 3 years
- The Florida Bar: Young Lawyers Division
- Indian River Council: Member
- Martin County Estate Planning Council: Member
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation: University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, Florida, 2010: Honors: Graduate Assistant for Professor Dennis A. Calfee, 2010
- Juris Doctor: University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, Florida, cum laude, 2009: Honors: Member, Florida Law Review, Research Assistant to Professor Elizabeth T. Lear, Certificate in Trusts and Estates, Book Awards in Estate Planning and Income Taxation of Estates and Trusts
- Undergraduate Degree: University of Florida, cum laude, 2006
- Board Certified in Wills, Trusts and Estates by The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization
- Recognized as a Rising Star in Estate Planning & Probate by Super Lawyers, 2018-2019
- Recognized as a Legal Elite ‘Up and Comer’ Tax Attorney by Florida Trend Magazine, 2017
- Award received (2011) from St. Lucie County Bar Association for recruiting membership, presiding over meetings and planning a program of activities for the Young Lawyers Division of the Association.
- Sweeping Changes You Need to Know: Impact of The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act on Estate Planning, Dean Mead Tax Symposium, Fort Pierce, Florida, February 22, 2018
- Trust and Estate Accountings, Stuart, Florida, November 7, 2017
- Tax and Succession Planning for Regions Bank Private Wealth Management, The Lighthouse Restaurant, Fanning Springs, February 24, 2016
- Tax and Succession Planning for Agricultural Businesses, Florida Agricultural Financial Management Conference, Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate, Orlando FL, August 27, 2015
- After the Storm: How Have Recent Tax Changes Affected Estate Planning and Real Estate Investments? Old Historic City Hall, Fort Pierce, FL, May 16, 2013
- Estate Planning After the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012, Wesche Jewelers, Melbourne, FL, April 23, 2013
- The End of the Perfect Storm of Estate Planning is Nearing (maybe!) – Planning for the Remainder of 2012, Fort Pierce, Florida, November 14, 2012
- Ms. Apfelbaum co-authored with Brad Gould the chapter titled, Tax Considerations in Eminent Domain Proceedings, as part of the treatise “Florida Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure”, 11th Edition, published by The Florida Bar and distributed by LexisNexis.
- Florida’s Water Crises: Can We Afford The Solutions? (Part III), co-authored with Michael Minton and Brad Gould, published in The Florida Bar Tax Section Bulletin, Vol. XXXIV, No. 1, Spring 2017
- Ms. Apfelbaum co-authored with Brad Gould the chapter titled, Tax Considerations in Eminent Domain Proceedings, as part of the treatise “Florida Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure”, 10th Edition, published by The Florida Bar and distributed by LexisNexis.
- The State of Same-Sex Marriage in Florida, co-authored with Brad Gould, Law360, October 2014
- Estate-planning Issues for Same-sex Couples, co-authored with Brad Gould, Florida CPA Today, September/October, 2014 issue
- Federal Tax Issues Affect Same-Sex Couples, co-authored with Brad Gould, Florida CPA Today, May/June 2014 issue
- New Reporting Requirements for Foreign Financial Assets, co-authored with Brad Gould, Dean Mead Newsletter, November, 2010
- Early Learning Coalition of St. Lucie County – Vice Chair
- Parent Academy of St. Lucie County - Planning Committee, Chair - Inaugural Lip Sync Battle
- United Way of St. Lucie County - Board of Directors