W. Lee DobbinsShareholder
Office: Fort Pierce, Stuart
Lee Dobbins Is the Managing Shareholder of Dean Mead’s Fort Pierce office. He practices in the areas of zoning, land use and commercial real estate transactions in the Fort Pierce, Stuart and Port St. Lucie communities. He represents property owners in the acquisition and development of land, including negotiating complex purchase contracts, due diligence, financing, title issues, closings and obtaining zoning and land use and site plan approvals from the local municipalities. Mr. Dobbins has assisted clients in taking residential, commercial and mixed-use developments from the purchase of raw land through obtaining final development approvals. He also has experience in obtaining economic development incentive grants and tax abatements, resolving utility issues, concurrency, debt restructuring transactions and drafting and negotiating complex commercial leases throughout the Treasure Coast.
- Negotiated and drafted a 50-year ground lease for a mega-yacht maintenance and repair facility at the Port of Fort Pierce.
- Negotiated and drafted a development agreement for the King's Landing project in downtown Fort Pierce.
- Assisted a hotel developer with drafting and obtaining approval of amendments to the St. Lucie County Land Development Code creating a new zoning category for hotel resorts and allowing for condo-hotels.
- Negotiated and obtained approval of a development order for LTC Ranch West, a 2000 acre DRI in the City of Port St. Lucie.
- Obtained approval of The Atlantic, an $80M ocean-front luxury drug and alcohol treatment facility in St. Lucie County.
- Drafted and negotiated agreements with the City of Port St. Lucie for the construction of park improvements in the Riverland development in exchange for park impact fee credits.
- Negotiated and drafted several agreements between developers and St. Lucie County for the construction of road improvements or donation of road right-of-way, in exchange for road impact fee credits.
- Reviewed and negotiated multiple utility agreements with St. Lucie County, the City of Port St. Lucie and the Fort Pierce Utility Authority.
- Assisted in drafting the Planned Development zoning section of the Fort Pierce Land Development Code.
- Represented a private school in obtaining approvals to redevelop property in downtown Fort Pierce.
- Obtained development approvals and drafted and negotiated agreements with the City of Fort Pierce and St. Lucie County for the development of the 500 acre Village at Midway mixed-use project.
- Obtained development approvals and drafted and negotiated agreements with St. Lucie County addressing utilities and traffic concurrency for the 500 acre St. Lucie Commerce Center industrial park.
- Helped obtain development approvals and resolved permitting issues for the 1400 acre Tesoro luxury golf community in the City of Port St. Lucie.
- Negotiated and drafted an agreement with the St. Lucie County School Board for the donation of a school site in the LTC Ranch development, in exchange for school impact fee credits.
- Obtained approval of a 645 acre aggregates mine in western St. Lucie County.
- Obtained development approvals and resolved permitting issues for the Tesoro Preserve and Ravello waterfront communities in the City of Port St. Lucie.
- Assisted the developer of the Martin County Ranch Community in obtaining development approvals.
- Assisted a company in obtaining approvals and incentive grants to build a roof tile manufacturing plant in Okeechobee County.
- Negotiated and drafted an agreement for a developer to install water and sewer lines in a County right-of-way, and receive a portion of the connection fees from other properties connecting to that line.
- Assisted in obtaining development approvals and resolving permitting issues for Dollar General stores in Indian River County, St. Lucie County and Martin County.
- Assisted several companies in obtaining state and local government incentive grants and tax exemptions for expansions and relocations.
Professional and Civic Activities
- The Florida Bar
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section - Member
- Environmental and Land Use Section – Member
- St. Lucie County Bar Association
- Economic Council of Okeechobee
- Leadership St. Lucie
- St. Lucie County Chamber of Commerce
- President - 2002-2003
- Board Member - 1998-2004
- St. Lucie County Economic Development Council - Board Member
Charitable and Pro Bono Service
- St. Lucie County Council on Aging - Past Board Member
- St. Lucie County Education Foundation - Past Board Member
- J.D.: University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, Florida, with honors, 1993;
- University of Florida Trial Team, Member
- Associate Research Editor, University of Florida Law Review
- Undergraduate Degree: B.A., Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, 1990
- Quoted in an article entitled, "Fort Pierce surfing center: dazzling proposal, but lots of questions remain," published in TCPalm on October 2, 2020
- Quoted in an article entitled, "Fort Pierce surf-pool developer lobbied for legislation to create rules to avoid using chlorine," published in TCPalm on September 29, 2020
- Quoted in an article entitled, "$595 surfing center and village with 800 homes, thousands of jobs may come to Fort Pierce," published in TCPalm on September 22, 2020
- House Bill 503 - Permit Extensions for Two Years, Dean Mead e-Newsletter, October 2012
- Florida's Ad Valorem Tax Exemption, Dean Mead e-Newsletter, June 2012
- Senate Bill 7207 - Permit Extensions, Dean Mead e-Newsletter, June 2011
- Senate Bill 1752 - Florida Economic Development Legislation, Dean Mead e-Newsletter, June 2010
- Inspirational Backus & Butcher Exhibition Supported by Dean Mead
- Five Tips for Buying Commercial Property for Your Business
- Florida Land Development Permit Extensions for Hurricane Irma
- Lee Dobbins Quoted in TC Palm on Land Development Approvals
- Florida Land Development Permit Extensions for Tropical Storm Emily
- Land Development Permit Extensions – State of Emergency for Brush Fires Extended
- Florida Opioid Epidemic Leads to Land Development Permit Extensions
- Florida Brush Fires Allow Land Development Permit Extensions
- Multiple Emergency Declarations Make Eighteen Month Permit Extensions Available in Certain Florida Counties
- Zoning & Land Use Attorney, Lee Dobbins Obtains Expansion Approval for Private School in St. Lucie County
- Florida Legislature Passes CS/HB 7023 – Permit Extensions for Two Years
- Beware! A Warning for Projects Obtaining Service from the St. Lucie County Water and Wastewater Utility District
- St. Lucie County Ordinance No. 2013-43 Allowing Administrative Extensions to Site Plan Approvals
- HB 319: New Legislation Impacting Traffic Concurrency
- HB 319: New Legislation Impacting Traffic Concurrency
- H.B. 503 – Permit Extensions for Two Years
- Florida’s Ad Valorem Tax Exemption – Article by W. Lee Dobbins
- SBA Expands Definition of Small Business
- SB 7207 – Permit Extensions
- Senate Bill 1752: Florida Economic Development Legislation