Michael J. FurbushShareholder
Trial skills count. With 24 years of courtroom experience, Mike has handled many complex matters, including cases involving property rights, real estate contracts, construction defects, trade secrets and non-compete agreements, unfair trade practices, employment discrimination, and intellectual property. He does not shy away from the hard case and takes great pride in his ability to present his client’s case in its most favorable light at trial. His most recent victory at trial involved the defense of a $6 million negligent security claim filed by a woman who had been kidnapped and shot during a home invasion robbery in an upscale neighborhood, in which it took the jury less than 30 minutes of deliberations to return a verdict for Mike’s client.
Mike has represented clients in many different industries, including homebuilders, building contractors, retailers, manufacturers, entertainers, and physicians. Many of his clients are household names and iconic brands. In recent years, Mike has been honored to represent some of the largest homebuilders in the country.
Mike is one of only 12 attorneys in Orlando who are Board Certified in Business Litigation Law by The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization. Board certification is The Florida Bar’s highest measure of an attorney’s competency, experience, and professionalism. To earn this distinction, a lawyer must have demonstrated his or her courtroom experience in business cases, received the written recommendations of judges and opposing counsel, and successfully completed a rigorous and comprehensive examination. Mike has been Board Certified since 2013.
Mike is recognized as a top-ranked business litigation attorney on the prestigious list of Florida’s Legal Elite published by Florida Trend Magazine and has been featured in the last two editions of The Best Lawyers in America for his high caliber of work in commercial litigation. With these distinctions, Mike ranks among the top two percent of all attorneys practicing in Florida.
Additional Representative Experience
- Obtained an order dismissing and transferring to California false advertising claims against an importer and distributor of military tactical and travel gear based in San Diego, California.
- Obtained defense verdict in $6 million negligent security claim against subdivision developer by the victim of a home invasion robbery.
- Defense of national homebuilder in claims brought by homeowners’ association for construction defects in townhomes, single family homes and common areas.
- Representation of developer of gated community in claims for underfunding of reserve account and construction defects in subdivision infrastructure.
- Defense of a world renowned hip-hop artist, record label, music video producer, and Internet service provider in a trademark infringement action brought by motorcycle daredevil.
- Defended a developer and general contractor in suit by owner for construction defects, fraud and mismanagement in connection with development of luxury condominium.
- Prosecuted RICO, fraud and negligence claims against a law firm that provided legal services which contributed to theft of funds from a bankruptcy estate.
- Defended a client in a suit against a general contractor for defects in construction of wetlands canals in residential subdivision.
- Obtained judgment against a developer who misappropriated and commingled client funds for use in other projects.
- Defended a national toy and baby product retailer in an action based on the alleged misappropriation of an idea for personalized baby gifts.
- Represented a real estate developer in a civil theft and breach of fiduciary duty claims against the managing member of the development company.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing trademark infringement claims against a world famous hip-hop artist and clothing company; affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained judgment on jury verdict in favor of a hotel owner in a breach of contract suit against a timeshare company; affirmed on appeal.
- Received a reversal of judgment against a book publisher; invasion of privacy claim barred by statute of limitations.
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association
- Trial Lawyers Section
- Business Law Section
- The Florida Bar
- Orange County Bar Association
- Board Member, 9th Circuit Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee
- Former Board Member and Chair, 9th Circuit Grievance Committee "A"
Charitable and Pro Bono Service
- American Red Cross of Central Florida
- Board Member
- Special Events, Past Chair
- Shelter Operations Worker
- Juris Doctor: University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, Florida, with honors, 1995
- Florida Law Review, Board Member
- Tom A. Cole Memorial Award for Academic Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Bachelor of Arts in History: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Recognition & Awards
- Board Certified in Business Litigation by The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization
- Named to the prestigious list of Florida Legal Elite in Litigation by Florida Trend magazine in 2018 and 2019
- Named an Outstanding Commercial Litigation Lawyer in The Best Lawyers in America, 2019-2020
- Named one of Orlando's Best Lawyers by Orlando Magazine, 2019
- Seven Rules for Preventing Sexual Harassment in the Workplace, September 2004
- Amendment to Section 558.004 Corrects Ruling in Gindel v. Centex Homes
- Florida Supreme Court: Upholding Substance Over Form in Email Service Requirements
- Florida Supreme Court Limits Exclusion of Expert Witnesses
- Pre-Suit Notice of Defect Is An “Action” for Purposes of Statute of Repose
- Best Lawyers in America Recognizes 24 Dean Mead Attorneys in 2019 Edition
- Jury Refuses to Hold Homebuilder Liable for Home Invasion
- Florida Legislature Clarifies Statute of Limitations and Statute of Repose for Construction Defect Claims
- Parent Company Merger Does Not Bar Enforcement of Restrictive Covenant
- Homebuilders and Contractors Beware