Michael D. RoyAssociate
Office: Vero Beach
Michael Roy practices in the firm’s Estate and Succession Planning department where he focuses on estate and trust administration matters and the development of estate plans. He handles the traditional aspects of personal estate planning, including the preparation of revocable trusts, wills, and irrevocable trusts, and works closely with clients to plan for the succession of family businesses and wealth among generations in a tax efficient manner. Mr. Roy also advises clients in the implementation of estate plans following a person’s passing, including related probate and estate tax matters.
His practice extends to charitable organizations, particularly the establishment of tax-exempt status, annual income tax returns, solicitation of contributions registrations, and other charitable organization compliance matters.
Mr. Roy earned his law degree from Quinnipiac University School of Law with a concentration in Tax, where he served as a student practitioner counseling clients at Quinnipiac’s low-income taxpayer clinic. He also served as Treasurer of the Public Interest Law Project, an organization dedicated to raising funds to support law students working in public interest positions. During his time in law school, he earned awards for outstanding legal scholarship, excellence in clinical work and the highest grade in his Estate and Financial Planning course.
Mr. Roy has a Master of Laws degree in Estate Planning from the University of Miami’s Heckerling Graduate Program.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Indian River County Bar Association
- Kiwanis Club of Vero-Treasure Coast
Charitable and Pro Bono Service
- Volunteer: Kiwanis Youth in Action and annual Take a Kid Fishing Tournament
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Estate Planning: University of Miami Heckerling Graduate Program, 2014
- Juris Doctor (J.D.): Quinnipiac University School of Law, Cum Laude, 2011
- Quinnipiac Probate Law Journal, Managing Associate Editor
- Public Interest Law Project, Treasurer
- Quinnipiac Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic, Student Practitioner
- Bachelor of Arts in English and Economics: University of Connecticut, Summa Cum Laude, 2008
- Babbage Scholar
- Phi Beta Kappa, Member
- Florida, 2013
- Connecticut, 2011
Recognition & Awards
- Quinnipiac University School of Law, Outstanding Legal Scholarship Recipient
- Quinnipiac University School of Law, Excellence in Clinical Work
- Quinnipiac University School of Law Highest Grade Designation, Estate and Financial Planning course
- Quinnipiac University School of Law, International Legal Honor Society of Phi Delta Phi, member
- Beyond the Digital Asset Dilemma: Will Online Services Revolutionize Estate Planning?, The Quinnipiac Probate Law Journal - 2011