Bringing Client Goals to Fruition with Substantial Relationships and Deep Knowledge Our Government Relations & Lobbying team blends strong knowledge with impactful relationships. In fact,…
About Michael J. Furbush
Trial skills count. With nearly 25 years of courtroom experience, Mike has handled many complex matters, including cases involving property rights, real estate contracts, construction defects, trade secrets and non-compete agreements, unfair trade practices, employment discrimination, and intellectual property. He does not shy away from the hard case and takes great pride in his ability to present his client’s case in its most favorable light at trial. His most recent victory at trial involved the defense of a $6 million negligent security claim filed by a woman who had been kidnapped and shot during a home invasion robbery in an upscale neighborhood, in which it took the jury less than 30 minutes of deliberations to return a verdict for Mike’s client.
Mike has represented clients in many different industries, including homebuilders, building contractors, retailers, manufacturers, entertainers, and physicians. Many of his clients are household names and iconic brands. In recent years, Mike has been honored to represent some of the largest homebuilders in the country.
He has extensive experience in many areas of the law, including: Construction Defects, Construction Contract Disputes, Residential Construction Law, Intellectual Property Claims, Real Property Claims, Products Liability, Warranty Disputes, Association Disputes, and Personal Injury Cases.
Mike is one of only 12 attorneys in Orlando who are Board Certified in Business Litigation Law by The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization. Board certification is The Florida Bar’s highest measure of an attorney’s competency, experience, and professionalism. To earn this distinction, a lawyer must have demonstrated his or her courtroom experience in business cases, received the written recommendations of judges and opposing counsel, and successfully completed a rigorous and comprehensive examination. Mike has been Board Certified since 2013.
Mike is recognized as a top-ranked business litigation attorney on the prestigious list of Florida’s Legal Elite published by Florida Trend Magazine and has been featured in the last two editions of The Best Lawyers in America for his high caliber of work in commercial litigation. With these distinctions, Mike ranks among the top two percent of all attorneys practicing in Florida.
Negotiated a multimillion dollar pretrial settlement on behalf of an online food ordering and delivery company in a trademark infringement case against one of the largest competitors in the industry, which also agreed to change its brand name to avoid further infringement.
Defense of national home builder in claims brought by homeowners’ association for construction defects in townhomes, single family homes, and common areas.
- American Bar Association: Trial Lawyers Section, Business Law Section
- The Florida Bar
- Orange County Bar Association
- Board Member, 9th Circuit Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee
- Former Board Member and Chair, 9th Circuit Grievance Committee "A"
- Juris Doctor: University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, Florida, with honors, 1995; Florida Law Review, Board Member; Tom A. Cole Memorial Award for Academic Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Bachelor of Arts in History: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1991
- Named an Outstanding Commercial Litigation Lawyer in The Best Lawyers in America, 2019-2024
- Named one of Orlando's Best Lawyers by Orlando Magazine, 2016-2019, 2023
- Named to the prestigious list of Florida Legal Elite in Litigation by Florida Trend magazine in 2018 and 2019
- Board Certified in Business Litigation by The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization
- Seven Rules for Preventing Sexual Harassment in the Workplace, September 2004
- Obtained an order dismissing and transferring to California false advertising claims against an importer and distributor of military tactical and travel gear based in San Diego, California.
- Obtained defense verdict in $6 million negligent security claim against subdivision developer by the victim of a home invasion robbery.
- Defense of national homebuilder in claims brought by homeowners’ association for construction defects in townhomes, single family homes and common areas.
- Representation of developer of gated community in claims for underfunding of reserve account and construction defects in subdivision infrastructure.
- Defense of a world renowned hip-hop artist, record label, music video producer, and Internet service provider in a trademark infringement action brought by motorcycle daredevil.
- Defended a developer and general contractor in suit by owner for construction defects, fraud and mismanagement in connection with development of luxury condominium.
- Prosecuted RICO, fraud and negligence claims against a law firm that provided legal services which contributed to theft of funds from a bankruptcy estate.
- Defended a client in a suit against a general contractor for defects in construction of wetlands canals in residential subdivision.
- Obtained judgment against a developer who misappropriated and commingled client funds for use in other projects.
- Defended a national toy and baby product retailer in an action based on the alleged misappropriation of an idea for personalized baby gifts.
- Represented a real estate developer in a civil theft and breach of fiduciary duty claims against the managing member of the development company.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing trademark infringement claims against a world famous hip-hop artist and clothing company; affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained judgment on jury verdict in favor of a hotel owner in a breach of contract suit against a timeshare company; affirmed on appeal.
- Received a reversal of judgment against a book publisher; invasion of privacy claim barred by statute of limitations.
- Die, Die, Die, My Daubert!
- Trade Secrets Qualify for Federal Protection: Highlights of the Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- American Red Cross of Central Florida - Board Member
- American Red Cross of Central Florida - Special Events, Past Chair
- American Red Cross of Central Florida - Shelter Operations Worker
Let's Work Together
We would love to talk with you about how we may assist you. However, please know that contacting us through this page does not establish an attorney-client relationship; no attorney-client relationship will be established until you and we agree to representation. You should not send us any confidential information through contact from this page or until requested by the attorney, and we will not treat any information you choose to provide as confidential.