Martin S. FriedmanOf Counsel
Marty Friedman is lead counsel for utility clients of all sizes before the Florida Public Service Commission and has been doing so for over 38 years, making him the most experienced attorney in Florida in representing water and wastewater utilities before the Florida Public Service Commission. He also represents utilities before other state and federal agencies and in their dealings with developers and city and county governments. He appears statewide before trial and appellate courts, as well as administrative agencies.
Mr. Friedman is a former Assistant Attorney General for the State of Florida where he handled local government, consumer and environmental issues, ultimately being promoted to chief of the General Litigation Section. Mr. Friedman has been lead counsel or lead real estate counsel on more than 130 utility sales transactions totaling more than $3 billion. He also has handled over 75 appeals before the Florida Supreme Court and District Courts of Appeal in Florida.
- Successfully argued before the United States District Court, District of Columbia to prohibit phosphate mining in the Osceola National Forest.
- Successfully argued before the Second District Court of Appeal for the right of mobile home owners to place "For Sale" signs on their homes.
- Successful argument before the First District Court of Appeal of Florida which established when homestead property that may be devised is subject to the claims of creditors. This case has been cited numerous times by other Florida Courts, including the Florida Supreme Court.
- Successful argument in the Fifth District Court of Appeal which established when a municipality's claim of the exclusive right to provide water and wastewater service could be defeated.
- Successful argument in the First District Court of Appeal which confirmed the procedure for a utility to include yet to be completed in its rates.
- Successful argument in the Second District Court of Appeal reversing Hillsborough County's denial of a rate increase to a water and wastewater utility.
Professional and Civic Activities
- The Florida Bar
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Business Law Section (Past Member)
- Florida Rural Water Association
- Associate Member for 20 years
- Marine Discovery Center, New Smyrna Beach
- Juris Doctor: Stetson University College of Law, 1975
- Bachelor of Science: Florida State University, 1972
- All U.S. District Courts in Florida
- "Current Business and Legal Problems of Franchises", The Florida Bar
- "Landlord, Tenant Law", Florida Apartment Association Convention
- "Mobile Home Owner's Rights", Florida Federation of Mobile Home Owner's Convention
- "Florida Timeshare Rules", Resort Timeshare Conference
- "Odometer Rollback Laws", Florida Independent Auto Dealers Association Convention
- "Mastering Real Estate Titles and Title Insurance in Florida", National Business Institute