Darryl M. BloodworthOf Counsel
Mr. Bloodworth is a founding member of Dean, Mead, Egerton, Bloodworth, Capouano & Bozarth, P.A. He practices in the area of business and commercial litigation and has substantial experience in complex commercial litigation, corporate control litigation, breach of contract and business torts and fiduciary litigation.
Mr. Bloodworth is board certified as an expert in civil trial law by The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and is a certified mediator. He is a fellow of The American College of Trial Lawyers and has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America as an outstanding attorney in the areas of commercial litigation (1995-present) and bet-the-company litigation (2007-present). He has also been named an outstanding commercial litigation attorney by Chambers USA – America’s Leading Business Lawyers (2004-present). Furthermore, Mr. Bloodworth has been very active in ALFA International, an international network of 150 independent law firms throughout the world. Mr. Bloodworth is the immediate past Chairman of ALFA’s Business Litigation Practice Group.
Mr. Bloodworth has been awarded an AV-Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell. He earned his law degree, with high honors, from the University of Florida College of Law and his undergraduate degree from the United States Air Force Academy.
Additional Representative Experience
- Represented a hospital taxing district in a suit brought by a local entity which contested the sale of the hospital by the hospital taxing district because the negotiations and meetings regarding the sale violated Florida’s Government in the Sunshine law. The hospital district and the purchasing entity attempted a “cure” to redo the sale in the sunshine. Following a five day trial the judge held that the cure process was ineffective to overcome the violations of the Sunshine law and required the parties to transition the hospital back to the hospital district.
- Represented a local business in a dispute over the terms of a contract with a national beverage company that purchased a citrus processing plant and entered into the contract with the local business to provide fruit for the citrus processing plant at a price set by a formula.
- Represented six individuals who were former employees of a Fortune 500 company who left to join a competitor. They were sued for misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference with customers and employees, and other claims. After two years of intense discovery (over 60 depositions) summary judgment was obtained on all counts and sustained on appeal.
- Represented the officers and directors of a closely held business who were sued derivatively and directly by a minority shareholder for breach of fiduciary duty, civil theft, and other claims over the use of corporate funds and management of the business.
- Represented a major law firm in a class action lawsuit brought by debtors of a bank client of that firm who alleged that the firm breached its obligations under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. A settlement was obtained after initial discovery conducted attacking appropriateness of a class action.
- Represented an out-of-state law firm in a professional malpractice action alleging that they had not adequately represented a PGA Senior Tour golfer in an antitrust action against the PGA Tour in federal court in Florida. After extensive discovery, a summary judgment was obtained on all counts holding that the firm had not committed malpractice.
- Represented the personal representative of a large estate in a will contest in which the plaintiff alleged that the decedent lacked testamentary capacity. The case involved extensive discovery regarding the decedent’s businesses and testamentary intent over a significant period of time and the uneven testamentary distributions to extended family members. The will was upheld in its entirety.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Past Chairman, Business Litigation Practice Group
- North American Membership Committee
- The American Bar Association - Litigation Section
- The American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- Florida State Committee of the American College of Trial Lawyers, 2008 to 2013
- American Board of Trial Advocates - Central Florida Chapter
- President, 1996-1997
- Member, 1993 - Present
- Florida A&M University College of Law Board of Visitors
- Orange County Bar Association
- President, 1982 - 1983
- Member, Executive Council, 1978 - 1983
- The Florida Bar
- Chairman, Long Range Planning Committee, 1989 - 1991
- Board of Governors, 1986 - 1988
- Chairman, Voluntary Bar Liaison Committee, 1984 - 1985
- Arbitration of Fee Disputes Committee, 1977 - 1978
- Trial Lawyers Section
- The Florida Council of Bar Association Presidents, 1984 - 1985
Charitable and Pro Bono Service
- Orange County Bar Association – Legal Aid Society
- The Florida Bar Foundation, Inc.
- President, 2001-2002
- Board of Directors, 1993 - 2002
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Mediator
- Juris Doctor: University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, Florida, with high honors, 1971
- Bachelor of Science Degree: United States Air Force Academy, 1964
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
Recognition & Awards
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization
- Inducted into Florida Trend's Legal Elite Hall of Fame, 2012
- Listed in Commercial Litigation in The Best Lawyers in America®, 1995-2018 and in Bet-The-Company Litigation, 2007-2019
- Named Orlando Best Lawyers Bet-the-Company Litigator of the Year, 2010
- Named an Outstanding Commercial Litigation Attorney in Chambers USA, America’s Leading Business Lawyers, 2004-2015
- Named one of Florida's Top 100 Attorneys, 2007-2014 and one of the Top 50 North Florida Super Lawyers, 2009 in Florida Super Lawyers Magazine
- Named Outstanding Commercial/Business Litigation Attorney in Florida Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite, 2006-2009 and 2012-2017, Florida Super Lawyers Magazine, 2006-2018, Orlando Business Journal’s Best of the Bar, 2005 and Orlando Magazine, 2006-2015
- William Trickel, Jr. Professionalism Award, Orange County Bar Association, 1998
- Martindale-Hubbell: Preeminent AV Rating
- Faculty Member, Advanced Trial Advocacy Seminar, Trial Lawyers Section of The Florida Bar
- Speaker at Annual Workshops on Law Firm Management & Economics, Joel A. Rose & Associates
- Lecturer - Recent Developments in Commercial Litigation - Florida Trial Certification Review Seminar, 2013 - 2016
- Fraudulent Conveyance Lessons for Debtors and Creditors
- Best Lawyers in America Recognizes 24 Dean Mead Attorneys in 2019 Edition
- 21 Dean Mead Attorneys Recognized as 2018 Florida Super Lawyers
- Darryl Bloodworth Featured by ALFA International
- 15 Dean Mead Attorneys Recognized Among Orlando’s Best Lawyers®
- When Do Disclaimer Clauses Bar Fraud Claims?
- Who Benefits From The Benefits: You May Be Surprised
- Florida Bar Foundation News – Children’s Legal Services Receives Grants