Daniel R. RussellOf Counsel
Mr. Russell focuses his practice on civil and administrative litigation, government relations, and regulated industries. He regularly represents clients before federal and circuit courts and, with respect to regulatory matters, before the State of Florida’s Division of Administrative Hearings. He advises a number of executive branch agencies on issues ranging from challenges to proposed agency rules, up to and including complex federal class action litigation.
During his career, Mr. Russell has served as general counsel of the Florida Lottery, where he managed the legal affairs of the lottery’s $5.5 billion per year operation. As general counsel, Mr. Russell was responsible for handling bid protests, administrative, state and federal litigation, and all other legal matters.
Mr. Russell is a member of the International Masters of Gaming Law, an invitation-only, non-profit association of gaming attorneys, regulators, educators, executives, and consultants from around the world who are dedicated to education and the exchange of professional information concerning all aspects of gaming law. He frequently serves on panels and speaks at national and international gaming conferences.
Mr. Russell also is the former general counsel for Gulfstream Park, Florida’s premier thoroughbred track and casino. He was responsible for all legal, compliance, regulatory, and risk management at the 150-acre facility, which included a horse race track, two casinos, a poker room, and an outdoor shopping mall.
Professional and Civic Activities
- International Association of Gaming Advisors
- International Masters of Gaming Law
- The Florida Bar
- The Florida Medical Cannabis Advisory Board
- Juris Doctor: Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida, 2008
- Bachelor of Science: University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 2005
Recognition & Awards
- Recognized as "Rising Star" in the field of Gaming by Florida Super Lawyers, 2017-2018
- Named to the list of "Florida's Legal Elite" by Florida Trend magazine, 2013
- Panelist, “State Actions to Prevent/Cease Illegal Gambling,” February 15, 2016
- Moderator, “Florida Lottery: What’s Next?” January 15, 2016
- Presenter, “Lotteries Seeking Growth Opportunities,” January 15, 2016
- Panelist, "Gaming Law Minefield," April 13, 2014
- "Internet Cafes: Where Do We Go From Here?" August 22, 2012
- "State-by-State Analysis of Internet Cafes," April 23, 2012
- "Florida's Public Policy on Gaming," Florida Gaming Summit Panel, February 24, 2012
- "Gambling and Pari-Mutuel Law," October 13, 2010
- Guest Lecturer, "White Collar Crimes," Keiser University, September 13, 2009
- News from Florida Gaming Congress, December 22, 2015
- "'Misprinted' Lottery Tickets and the Disappointment of a Non-Winning Ticket," American Gaming Lawyer, October 5, 2015
- "Fraud and Ticket Brokering: A Dilemma for Public Lotteries," American Gaming Lawyer, June 9, 2015
- "The Legal Status of Gambling in America's Senior Communities," Marquette Elder's Advisor: Vol. 8: Iss. 2, Article 5, January 13, 2015
- "Frequent Jackpot Winners: Lucky Players or Scammers?" Casino Lawyer Magazine, October 26, 2014
- "DOJ Clears Way for PokerStars Return," Ante Up Magazine, September 27, 2012
- "The History of Internet Cafés and the Current Approach to Their Regulation," UNLV Gaming Law Journal: Vol. 3: Iss. 2, Article 5, September 24, 2012