Claudia Haines JonesShareholder
Office: Viera / Melbourne
Claudia Haines Jones is the managing shareholder of Dean Mead’s Brevard County office. Ms. Jones focuses her legal practice on services related to healthcare, corporate and business law and legal issues unique to post-secondary educational institutions. Her clients include physician practices, hospital medical staffs, individual physicians, and business enterprises. Ms. Jones has also served as outside general counsel to a private Florida-based university.
Ms. Jones advises independent medical staffs at acute care hospitals in Central and North Florida, representing more than 1,000 physicians on issues unique to hospital-based medical practice, including:
• Compliance with the Joint Commission Accreditation Standards and the CMS Conditions of Participation
• Preparation and amendment of medical staff bylaws, rules and regulations
• Conduct of MEC meetings
• Conduct of general and special meetings of the medical staff, including elections of medical staff leadership
• Credentialing, investigations and due process hearings
• Compliance with state peer review laws and the Patient Safety Rule
Ms. Jones advises independent medical practices on a range of legal and compliance issues including:
• Physician recruitment
• Physician employment agreements, restrictive covenants and compensation models
• Contracting with healthcare facilities
• Leasing of real property and medical equipment
• Contracting with ACO’s
• Managed care contracting
• Purchases and sales of medical practices
• Physician buy-ins and redemptions
Ms. Jones substantive work on behalf of a private university includes:
• Technology transfers and commercializing scientific and engineering research
• Technology license agreements
• Copyright protection and copyright licensing
• Mergers and acquisitions with tax exempt entities that compliment university’s educational mission
• Negotiation and drafting of international transactions concerning student recruitment
• Negotiation and drafting of international transactions concerning flight training and aviation school
• Advise on compliance with The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
• Advise on compliance with HIPAA hybrid entity standards
• Assist with internal investigations
• Advise on academic dismissals, disciplinary actions and appeals
• Advise on formation of new college
Ms. Jones counsels and advises business enterprises on:
• Entity selection and formation
• Shareholders’ agreements and Buy-Sell agreements
• LLC operating agreements
• Employment agreements
• Material business transactions, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
Additional Representative Experience
- Advised on peer review investigations and participated in due process hearings conducted by medical staffs concerning quality of patient care and patient safety issues.
- Advised physician leadership on significant hospital policy issues that impact on concerning enforcement of medical staff bylaws.
- Advised independent medical staffs and credentials committees on compliance with the Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005 and the Patient Safety Rule, including re-write of credentialing policies and procedures.
- Prepared and advised on medical staff bylaw amendments to address Patient Safety Rule.
- Advised physicians in opposition to proposed amendment to medical staff bylaws designed to facilitate exclusive contracting by hospital of service lines by permitting the early termination and non-renewal of clinical privileges granted to independent physicians.
- Advised on application of disruptive physician policies and implications for due process procedures.
- Revised medical staff leadership election procedures.
- Represented county’s largest medical and radiation oncology practice in sale of assets to hospital entity, including sale of three medical office buildings and transfer of licenses.
Complex Commercial Transactions
- Prepared request and obtained private letter ruling from IRS for tax-free spin-out from NYSE-listed company to its shareholders. Simultaneously prepared and obtained listing on New York Stock Exchange of spun-out company.
- $50,000,000 sale of stock by stockholder-inventors of patented construction product to Dorbyl Limited, a publicly-traded South African conglomerate.
- $5,000,000 sale of assets by private company to publicly-traded Waste Management, Inc. (NSEY: WMI).
- $4,700,000 sale of stock in investment adviser.
- $2,000,000 sale of assets by private insurance company to publicly-traded Brown & Brown (NYSE: BRO).
- $21,500,000 sale of Falcon jet to U.K. entity. Negotiated aircraft purchase agreement, assignment of warranties, flight personnel services agreement, flight management agreement, and pilot employment agreement.
- $40,000,000 purchase of prototype jet from Bombardier, Inc. Negotiated agreements with BMW/Rolls Royce Aero Engines on aircraft engine warranty. Co-ordinated representation with overseas counsel on aircraft registration and regulatory matters.
- $20,000,000 purchase from Dassault Aviation, S.A.
- $27,000,000 lease of aircraft from Dassault Aviation, S.A. Established leasing entity under Bermuda law. Negotiated jet operation management and maintenance agreement. Coordinated with overseas counsel on aircraft registration, insurance and regulatory matters.
- Represented borrower in $20,000,000 aircraft finance transaction with General Electric Credit Corporation. Negotiated aircraft security agreement, cross-collateralized guarantees and pledge of shares in purchaser’s foreign affiliates.
- As associate general counsel of a private real estate development company, managed more than 40 real estate acquisitions in East Texas and Louisiana during a one-year period, including land acquisitions and negotiation of triple-net leases with publicly-traded drugstore chain. Managed environmental remediation projects.
Professional and Civic Activities
- The Florida Bar
- Business Law Section
- Health Law Section
- Brevard County Bar Association
- Economic Development Commission of Florida’s Space Coast - Chair of Finance and Governance Council, Member, Executive Committee
- Juris Doctorate Degree: University of Miami School of Law, Miami, Florida, cum laude, 1995
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics: Principia College, Elsah, Illinois, with Honors, 1981
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida
Prior Legal Experience
- Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Levitt Corporation, Fort Lauderdale, FL (previously NYSE: LEV)
- General Counsel to XL Vision, Inc., a technology incubator, Melbourne, FL
- Corporate Securities Attorney for Berger Singerman, P.A., Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Corporate Securities Attorney for Stroock & Stroock & Lavan, LLP, Miami, FL
Prior Business Experience
Ms. Jones was the chief corporate foreign currency trader at Wall Street investment banks prior to earning her law degree. In those positions she advised Fortune 100 companies on foreign currency risk management, hedging and execution timing of market transactions. In more than a decade of institutional sales and trading, she developed an expertise in foreign currency derivatives and other complex financial instruments.
Recognition & Awards
Honored as the recipient of the “2012 Outstanding Business Leader of the Year”, Nathan M. Bisk College of Business, Florida Institute of Technology
- Florida’ s Revised Limited Liability Company Act, Brevard Zoo, Viera, FL, November 6, 2014
- Moderator for the Florida TechXpo Manufacturing Luncheon, Midair USA Production Facility, Melbourne, FL, October 3, 2014
- Health Reform and the Affordable Care Act: Is Your Business Prepared for the New Normal? Moderator for Dean Mead’s Brevard Business Briefings seminar, Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place, Melbourne, FL, May 21, 2013
- Creating Business and Social Value Through Corporate Social Responsibility, Florida Institute of Technology’s 2013 Ethics and Leadership Conference, April 16, 2013, Melbourne, FL
- Legal Considerations for Small Business, presented to the Brevard Community College Small Business Development Center, Melbourne, FL
- Workshop for new business owners: Prepared program materials for aerospace workers transitioning from Cape Canaveral following the termination of NASA’s Space Shuttle program. Led workshops on the legal issues facing new businesses and their owners. The workshop was part of the Entrepreneurial Training Services program jointly sponsored by Florida Institute of Technology’s Nathan M. Bisk College of Business and Brevard Workforce.
- New Law Voids Some Hospital-Imposed Noncompetes on Physicians
- 2 Dean Mead Attorneys to Present at ASA Practice Management 2017
- Viera’s Managing Shareholder Claudia Haines Jones in SpaceCoast Business Magazine
- Claudia Haines Jones Leads Growing Dean Mead Viera Practice
- Dean Mead Viera Attorneys profiled in Space Coast Business
- Dean Mead’s Viera Office Commemorates Silver Anniversary with Gift to Florida Tech.
- What You Should Know about the New Limited Liability Company Act
- Estate Planning Team Hosts “Asset Protection 2013 Update Seminar” in Orlando and Viera
- Panel Discussion about the Affordable Care Act Kicks Off Brevard Business Briefings in Melbourne