Dean Mead’s Tax Department handles tax planning issues for businesses and individuals. The attorneys in our department have extensive experience in a full range of…
About Denise D. Dell-Powell
Denise D. Dell-Powell is the Chair of Dean Mead’s Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights Practice Group throughout Florida. She has more than 25 years of experience in bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, and distressed property including CMBS foreclosures, workouts and bankruptcy matters. She has represented secured and unsecured creditors, debtors, Chapter 11 Trustees, Chapter 7 Trustees and unsecured creditors’ committees. In addition to a focus on banking and financial institutions, her career also includes representation in the hospitality, restaurant, healthcare and agricultural industries.
In Ms. Dell-Powell’s business litigation practice, she has represented parties in federal and state court and has experience trying both jury and non-jury trials. Her litigation practice involves representing clients in a broad range of matters, including those involving real estate, mortgage foreclosure, receiverships, lender liability, commercial evictions, partnership disputes and other real estate based litigation.
Due to her legal skills and experience in bankruptcy law, she has earned the distinction of being one of only 900 Fellows nationwide to be elected to the prestigious American College of Bankruptcy. Election to the organization is by one’s peers and based on demonstrating the highest level of character, integrity, professional experience, leadership and community involvement.
Denise is a frequent lecturer, presenter and author on bankruptcy, restructuring and related issues. She has presented at conferences and seminars sponsored by the American Bar Association, American Bankruptcy Institute, Trigild, The Florida Bar, The Bankruptcy / UCC Section of The Florida Bar, the Florida Bankers Association, the Jacksonville Bankruptcy Bar Association, the Central Florida Bankruptcy Law Association and Lorman Education Series.
Represented the Chapter 11 Trustee in a large Ponzi scheme case, including filing and prosecuting over 600 adversary proceedings.
Represented a national financial institution in serial Chapter 11 filings of 3 related companies, ultimately having the second set of Chapter 11 cases dismissed, filing a federal court foreclosure and selling the real property through a received in the foreclosure action.
Let's Work Together
We would love to talk with you about how we may assist you. However, please know that contacting us through this page does not establish an attorney-client relationship; no attorney-client relationship will be established until you and we agree to representation. You should not send us any confidential information through contact from this page or until requested by the attorney, and we will not treat any information you choose to provide as confidential.
- American Bar Association – Member
- Bankruptcy Bar Association, Middle District of Florida - Member
- Bankruptcy Bar Association, Middle District of Florida - Past President
- The Florida Bar - Business Law Section Member
- The Florida Bar - Bankruptcy and UCC Committee Member
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Florida Board Member
- Jacksonville Bankruptcy Bar Association – Member
- Bankruptcy Bar Association for the Southern District of Florida – Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute - Appointed to the 2020 Advisory Board for the 25th Annual Southeast Bankruptcy Workshop
- American Bankruptcy Institute - Member & Advisory Committee Member for the ABI Paskay Seminar
- Member & Advisory Committee Member for the ABI Paskay Seminar Florida Commission on the Status of Women – Commissioner (appointed by Gov. Rick Scott)
- Juris Doctor: Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, Macon, Georgia, 1991
- Bachelor of Science Degree: Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, 1986
- American College of Bankruptcy, Fellow
- Recognized by Chambers USA as a leading practitioner in Bankruptcy & Restructuring, 2012-2018
- Named among the outstanding lawyers in The Best Lawyers in America© for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2006-2021; and for Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2011-2022
- Honored as the Orlando "Lawyer of the Year" in Litigation – Bankruptcy by The Best Lawyers in America©, 2012. 2018, 2020, 2021
- Ranked among the Florida Super Lawyers in Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2007-2021
- Named a Top 50 Lawyer in Orlando in Florida Super Lawyers, 2018-2020
- Recognized by Florida Trend as one of Florida’s "Legal Elite" in Bankruptcy & Workouts, 2012, and 2015-2016
- Honored by the Orlando Business Journal as a Business Executive Honoree at the Women Who Mean Business awards, 2015
- ABI Paskay Seminar, February 2019, February 2018
- Trigild Lender Conference, 2012-2016
- ABI Southeast, 2010
- Represented the Chapter 11 Trustee in a large Ponzi scheme case, including filing and prosecuting over 600 adversary proceedings.
- Represented a national financial institution in serial Chapter 11 filings of 3 related companies, ultimately having the second set of Chapter 11 cases dismissed, filing a federal court foreclosure and selling the real property through a received in the foreclosure action.
- Represented the Chapter 7 Trustee in a case involving a Debtor that serviced ATM machines, to investigate and assess certain causes of action, and to file certain adversary proceedings.
- Represented a Lender in two related Chapter 11 cases of Debtors which owned and operated large national branded hotels.
- Represented national financial institution in a successful Chapter 11 case involving a dairy farm in North Florida. The collateral including real property and cattle.
- Represented an Assignee in an ABC case of a construction company, including filing numerous lawsuits to collect monies owed.
- Prosecuted and defended cases involving a wide variety of subjects including business contracts, shareholder disputes, declaratory actions, fraudulent transfers and landlord/tenant disputes.
- Handled appeals before Florida’s Fourth and Fifth District Courts of Appeal.
- Quoted in an article entitled, "Orlando, National Personal Bankruptcies Expected to Rise in 2021," published in the American Bankruptcy Institute on November 2, 2020
- Quoted in an article entitled, "Personal bankruptcies expected to rise in 2021. Here's why that matters," published in the Orlando Business Journal on October 30, 2020
- “How to Deal with Secured Assets Beyond Real Property,” co-author with Jim Cockran, Randy Huke, Timothy Dick and Bert Haboucha, Annual Trigild Lender Conference, 2010
- “Workouts on Commercial Property,” The Fund Assembly, 2010
- “Understanding the Banker’s Mindset,” co-author with Kristina Anderson, Rob Whitmire and Williams Runge, American Bankruptcy Institute, 15th Annual Southeastern Bankruptcy Workshop, 2010
- “Anatomy of a Workout,” co-author with Elena Ketchum and Donald Kirk, The Florida Bar Bankruptcy/UCC Committee, 2012
- “Ponzi Schemes in Bankruptcy,” co-author with Michael Goldberg, Soneet Kapila and Roy Kobert, Central Florida Bankruptcy Association’s Annual Bankruptcy Seminar, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- Central Florida March of Dimes – Board Member and Past Chair
- One Heart for Women and Children – Board Member
- Central Florida Urban League - Board Member and Secretary