Dean Mead’s Tax Department handles tax planning issues for businesses and individuals. The attorneys in our department have extensive experience in a full range of…
About Daniel R. Russell
Dan Russell is an administrative and regulatory attorney who focuses his practice of highly regulated industries. In addition to his legal practice, Dan serves as Chairman of Florida’s Second Circuit Judicial Nominating Committee as appointed by Governor Ron Desantis and also serves as a member of the Medical Cannabis Advisory Committee as appointed by Commissioner of Agriculture Nikki Fried.
Dan advises a number of executive branch agencies on issues ranging from challenges to proposed agency rules, up to and including complex federal class action litigation. He is also a Circuit Judicial Court Mediator certified by the Florida Supreme Court.
He is a member of the International Masters of Gaming Law, an invitation-only, non-profit association of gaming attorneys, regulators, educators, executives, and consultants from around the world who are dedicated to education and the exchange of professional information concerning all aspects of gaming law. He frequently serves on panels and speaks at national and international gaming conferences.
Dan also is the former general counsel for Gulfstream Park, Florida’s premier thoroughbred track and casino. He was responsible for all legal, compliance, regulatory, and risk management at the 150-acre facility, which included a horse race track, two casinos, a poker room, and an outdoor shopping mall.
Mr. Russell has served as General Counsel to the Florida Lottery, Gulfstream Park Casino and Surterra Wellness.
Key Legal Services
Let's Work Together
We would love to talk with you about how we may assist you. However, please know that contacting us through this page does not establish an attorney-client relationship; no attorney-client relationship will be established until you and we agree to representation. You should not send us any confidential information through contact from this page or until requested by the attorney, and we will not treat any information you choose to provide as confidential.
- International Association of Gaming Advisors
- International Masters of Gaming Law
- The Florida Bar
- Appointed to the Florida Medical Cannabis Advisory Board by Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried
- Appointed to the Second Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission by Governor Ron DeSantis
- Juris Doctor: Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida, 2008
- Bachelor of Science: University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 2005
- Certified Circuit Judicial Court Mediator, the Florida Supreme Court
- Recognized as "Rising Star" in the field of Gaming by Florida Super Lawyers, 2017-2018
- Named to the list of "Florida's Legal Elite Up & Comers" by Florida Trend magazine, 2013, 2020
- Panelist, "Hemp Regulation Panel," Lay of the Land Conference, February 27, 2020
- Panelist, “State Actions to Prevent/Cease Illegal Gambling,” February 15, 2016
- Moderator, “Florida Lottery: What’s Next?” January 15, 2016
- Presenter, “Lotteries Seeking Growth Opportunities,” January 15, 2016
- Panelist, "Gaming Law Minefield," April 13, 2014
- "Internet Cafes: Where Do We Go From Here?" August 22, 2012
- "State-by-State Analysis of Internet Cafes," April 23, 2012
- "Florida's Public Policy on Gaming," Florida Gaming Summit Panel, February 24, 2012
- "Gambling and Pari-Mutuel Law," October 13, 2010
- Guest Lecturer, "White Collar Crimes," Keiser University, September 13, 2009
- Quoted in the article, "Dean Mead lawyer gives odds on Florida recreational marijuana legalization in 2021," published in Orlando Business Journal, February 3, 2021
- Quoted in the article entitled, “The Development of Florida's Hemp Industry,” published in The Land Journal, May 14, 2020
- “Florida chapter, International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG) to: Gambling 2020”, Co-Author, November 20, 2019
- Quoted in the article entitled, “Florida recreational marijuana petition reaches next step for 2020 ballot,” published in the Orlando Business Journal, November 14, 2019
- Quoted in the article entitled, “Everything You Need to Know About Legal Weed in Florida,” published in Thrillist, April 17, 2019
- Quoted in the article entitled, “Here's what it will take to get smokable medical marijuana in Florida,” published in Orlando Business Journal, March 21, 2019
- Quoted in the article entitled, “Expert: Here's how likely recreational marijuana legalization is for Florida,” published in Orlando Business Journal, March 4, 2019
- News from Florida Gaming Congress, December 22, 2015
- "'Misprinted' Lottery Tickets and the Disappointment of a Non-Winning Ticket," American Gaming Lawyer, October 5, 2015
- "Fraud and Ticket Brokering: A Dilemma for Public Lotteries," American Gaming Lawyer, June 9, 2015
- "The Legal Status of Gambling in America's Senior Communities," Marquette Elder's Advisor: Vol. 8: Iss. 2, Article 5, January 13, 2015
- "Frequent Jackpot Winners: Lucky Players or Scammers?" Casino Lawyer Magazine, October 26, 2014
- "DOJ Clears Way for PokerStars Return," Ante Up Magazine, September 27, 2012
- "The History of Internet Cafés and the Current Approach to Their Regulation," UNLV Gaming Law Journal: Vol. 3: Iss. 2, Article 5, September 24, 2012