Bringing Client Goals to Fruition with Substantial Relationships and Deep Knowledge Our Government Relations & Lobbying team blends strong knowledge with impactful relationships. In fact,…
About Daniel J. McGinn
Daniel is an experienced attorney who is proficient in navigating regulatory frameworks to get to his client’s desired outcome and devises creative solutions for his client’s concerns.
Daniel’s practice focuses on modernizing operations and policies of Florida’s Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco to keep pace with an industry that’s innovating daily but is faced with laws written in the Prohibition Era. Examples of ways he has made strides in this highly regulated industry include crafting language to permanently legalize “cocktails-to-go” following the shutdown and reopening of alcoholic beverage vendors in 2020, building the internal policies and practices to incorporate the sale of nicotine products into the Division’s regulatory sphere, and championing a mandate requiring the use of electronic filing for excise and surcharge tax reporting.
Served as the subject matter expert for the Florida Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco before the Legislature, at industry events, and as the Division's representative in multiple high-profile matters.
Successfully argued the State's position that "pre-reveal" or "preview" gaming machines are illegal slot machines pursuant to Florida law.
- Juris Doctor: Florida State University College of Law, December 2015; With Honors
- Bachelor of Science in Social Science Education: University of Central Florida, May 2011
- "Litigating For and Against the Government", The Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division, Moderator
- "Why Seminole Tribe Sports Betting Ruling is a Net Positive", Lay 360, July 24, 2023 (Article)
- "Virtual Gambling", International Masters of Gaming Law (IMGL) Magazine, July 2023 (Article)
- "DC Circuit Opinion Favorable to Seminole Tribe, Reinstating 2021 Compact", June 30, 2023 (Article)
- "How the Fla. AG Is Impeding Recreational Marijuana", Law360, June 6, 2023 (Article)
- "Moody’s Opposition to Recreational Marijuana Ballot Proposal", May 16, 2023 (Article)
- "Florida Gaming Control Commission Faces Crossroads on Gaming Facility Regulation", May 16, 2023 (Article)
- "HB 639: The Effect on Locations Selling Alcoholic Beverages", May 15, 2023 (Article)
- "Florida Corporate Income Tax – Department of Revenue Cannot Ignore Own Cost of Performance Rule," The Florida Bar, Tax Section Bulletin (Volume XL, No. 1, Spring 2023) (Article)
- “Florida Stands Up a New Gaming Regulator,” IMGL Magazine, Co-Author, November 2022
- Florida, 2016
Let's Work Together
We would love to talk with you about how we may assist you. However, please know that contacting us through this page does not establish an attorney-client relationship; no attorney-client relationship will be established until you and we agree to representation. You should not send us any confidential information through contact from this page or until requested by the attorney, and we will not treat any information you choose to provide as confidential.