Dean Mead’s Tax Department handles tax planning issues for businesses and individuals. The attorneys in our department have extensive experience in a full range of…
About Brad Gould
Brad, a Florida Bar board certified tax attorney and fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel, serves as a trusted counselor to businesses and individuals in the full range of corporate, tax and estate planning. He represents executives, entrepreneurs, and business owners in tax, transactional, estate planning, and estate administration matters. Brad guides businesses and business owners through all stages of the company’s life cycle, from formation and governance, to mergers, sales and succession planning, to operations and represents both businesses and individuals before the IRS in tax matters.
A frequent speaker and active in national and state associations, Brad currently serves as Chair of the S Corporations Committee for the Section of Taxation of the American Bar Association.
Brad helps clients create business and estate plans to meet their tax and non-tax goals. This includes the structuring of business and investment companies, the preparation of wills, trusts, and continued advice through the life and evolution of those things.
Represented the retiring owners of a $30+m business, in which I negotiated and planned the sale and assisted with their post-retirement estate planning needs, including creation of wills, trusts, and other gifting vehicles.
Represented a closely-held, multi-generational S corporation operating a large cattle ranch with the tax-free split-up of the corporation
Key Legal Services
Let's Work Together
We would love to talk with you about how we may assist you. However, please know that contacting us through this page does not establish an attorney-client relationship; no attorney-client relationship will be established until you and we agree to representation. You should not send us any confidential information through contact from this page or until requested by the attorney, and we will not treat any information you choose to provide as confidential.
- Florida Bar Association
- American College of Tax Counsel: Fellow
- American Bar Association (ABA): Tax Section Member; S Corporation Committee, Chair, 2020 – present, Vice Chair, 2016-2020
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FICPA): Board of Directors/ Executive Committee, 2015 – 2019; Council/Board of Governors, 2012 – 2019; University of Florida Accounting Conference Committee; LGBT Task Force
- University of Florida, Fisher School of Accounting Advisory Board
- Martin County Bar Association
- Martin County Estate Planning Council
- Juris Doctor: University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, Florida, with honors, 2001
- Master of Accounting: University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 1998
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting: University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, with honors, 1998
- Back to Basics: Introduction to S Corporations, ABA Tax Conference, 2021
- Estate Planning Pot Luck, Martin County Estate Planning Council, November 22, 2019, Stuart, FL
- Sweeping Changes You Need to Know About the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, Viera, FL, February 15, 2018; and Fort Pierce, FL, February 22, 2018
- Estate and Trust Accountings Seminar, co-presented with Dana M. Apfelbaum, Stuart, FL, November 8, 2017
- Estate and Trust Accountings, University of Florida Accounting Conference presented by the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Gainesville, FL, October 6, 2017
- Tax and Succession Planning for Closely-Held Businesses, Fall Meeting & Education Conference for the American Academy of Attorney-CPAs, Houston, TX, November 9, 2016
- Panel member, Proposed Regulations for Section 2704 and S Corporation Current Developments program, Joint Fall CLE Meeting of the ABA Tax Section, Boston, MA, September 30, 2016
- Panel member, Agricultural Cost-Share and Payment for Environmental Services – Identifying and Seizing the Right Opportunities for Your Business, Florida Agriculture Financial Management Conference (FAFMC), Omni Orlando Hotel, Orlando, FL, August 25, 2016
- Moderator, Current Developments Program for the S Corporation Committee, S Corporation Committee of the ABA Tax Section May Meeting, Washington, D.C., May 6, 2016
- Current Developments Program for the S Corporation Committee, S Corporation Committee of the ABA Tax Section Mid-Year Meeting, Los Angeles, California, January 29, 2016
- Current Developments Program for the S Corporation Committee, S Corporation Committee of the ABA Tax Section, and Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Section, Trust & Estate Division Joint Fall CLE Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, September 18, 2015
- Tax and Succession Planning for Agricultural Businesses, FAFMC, Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate, Orlando FL, August 27, 2015
- Same Sex Marriages, FICPA Mega CPE Conference, Orlando, FL, June 12, 2015
- Current Developments Program for the S Corporation Committee, S Corporation Committee of the ABA Tax Section, Washington D.C., May 8, 2015
- DOMA and Estate Planning, Estate Planning Council of Polk County, February 10, 2015
- Current Developments Program for the S Corporation Committee, S Corporation Committee of the ABA Tax Section, Midyear Meeting in Houston, TX, January 30, 2015
- Current Developments Program and IC-DISCs and S Corporations, S Corporation Committee of the ABA Tax Section Joint Fall CLE Meeting, Denver, CO, September 19, 2014
- Federal Tax Issues for Same Sex Couples, FICPA Mega CPE Conference, Orlando FL, June 14, 2014
- Current Developments, S Corporation Committee of the ABA Tax Section, Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., May 9, 2014
- Current Developments , S Corporation Committee of the ABA Tax Section, Mid-Year Meeting, in Phoenix, AZ, January 24, 2014
- Current Developments, S Corporation Committee of the ABA Tax Section, Joint Fall CLE Meeting, San Francisco, CA September 20, 2013
- After the Storm: How Have Recent Tax Changes Affected Estate Planning and Real Estate Investments?, Old Historic City Hall, Fort Pierce, FL, May 16, 2013
- Current Development Program, S Corporation Committee of the ABA Tax Section, Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., May 10, 2013
- The End of the Perfect Storm of Estate Planning is Nearing (maybe!) – Planning for the Remainder of 2012, Fort Pierce, Florida, November 14, 2012
- Real Estate Professionals, Orange County Bar Tax Section, Orlando, Florida, January, 2012
- Asset Protection and Transfer Tax Aspects from the 2010 Tax Act, FICPA, Merritt Island, Florida, July 26, 2011
- Federal Transfer Tax Developments and Asset Protection Planning, FICPA Sailfish Chapter, Palm City, Florida, May 18, 2011
- Federal Tax Update, FICPA 25th Annual Accounting Show, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, October, 2010
- Recent Federal Tax Updates, FICPA Florida Accounting and Business Expo, Tampa, Florida, June 25, 2010
- Small Business Tax Update, BioFlorida Southeast Chapter, Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, Port St. Lucie, Florida, May 20, 2010
- Partnership Agreements and Operating Agreements, Terms and Provisions (Related Information) Every CPA (Representing Partnerships/Limited Liability Companies or their Owners) Needs to Know), FICPA, Florida Institute on Federal Taxation, Orlando, Florida, November 14, 2008
- Beneficiary Designations, FICPA, University of Florida Accounting Conference, Gainesville, Florida, November 1, 2007
- Federal Tax Update, FICPA, University of Florida Accounting Conference, Gainesville, Florida, October 5, 2006
- Represented the retiring owners of a building supply wholesaler with the sale of their business to a competitor for over $30 million. Brad negotiated the sale and leases on the retained real estate. After closing the transaction, he assisted the owners with their estate planning needs.
- Represented a closely-held S corporation operating a large cattle ranch with the tax-free split-up. The corporation was owned and operated by two generations of ranchers consisting of several siblings and their children.
- Represented a family in an early Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP) case. In addition to failing to report the account on an FBAR, the parent omitted all of the income from the account for income tax purposes and the account was not reported for estate tax purposes on either parent’s estate tax return.
- Represented the descendants of a decedent suffering from dementia who was secluded from their family for over a decade by their second spouse, who methodically took the decedent’s $15 million estate. Through mediation, Brad helped the decedent’s heirs recover the assets they would have received under his Will.
- Represented a terminally ill client with succession of a multi-state, multi-generational family farm with holdings in excess of $100 million. Brad worked with the client to develop a succession plan for the transition of control of the business and preservations of the farm’s assets.
- Represented the personal representative and trustee of a combined $40 million estate and trust from a challenge by the decedent’s daughter. The decedent left the bulk of his assets to charity and left significant bequests to friends, family and employees. An estranged daughter? sought to recover a large bequest under a prior version of his Will. Brad helped successfully defend the challenge after a three-day trial.
- Successfully represented a real estate professional who operated a multi-state, luxury rental business before the IRS which argued that the passive activity loss rules applied and assessed over $500,000 in taxes and penalties.
- CPA, Deloitte & Touche
- Mr. Gould co-authored with Dana Apfelbaum the chapter titled, Tax Considerations in Eminent Domain Proceedings, as part of the treatise “Florida Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure”, 11th Edition, published by The Florida Bar and distributed by LexisNexis
- Florida’s Water Crises: Can We Afford The Solutions? (Part III), co-authored with Michael Minton and Dana Apfelbaum, published in The Florida Bar Tax Section Bulletin, Vol. XXXIV, No. 1, Spring 2017
- Gould co-authored with Dana Apfelbaum the chapter titled, Tax Considerations in Eminent Domain Proceedings, as part of the treatise “Florida Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure”, 10th Edition, published by The Florida Bar and distributed by LexisNexis.
- Update on S Corporations, co-authored with Stephen R. Looney, Florida CPA today, January/February 2017 issue
- The State of Same-Sex Marriage in Florida, co-authored with Dana Apfelbaum, Law360, October 2014
- Estate-planning Issues for Same-sex Couples, co-authored with Dana Apfelbaum, Florida CPA Today, September/October, 2014 issue
- Federal Tax Issues Affect Same-Sex Couples, co-authored with Dana Apfelbaum, Florida CPA Today, May/June 2014 issue
- 'Fiscal cliff' Bill Brings Certainty to Small-business Owners, St. Lucie News Tribune, January 20, 2013
- Introduction to Estate Planning and Charitable Giving, co-authored with Robert J. Naberhaus III, May 20, 2011
- Federal Transfer Tax Developments and Asset Protection Planning, co-authored with Robert J. Naberhaus III, May 18, 2011
- New Reporting Requirements for Foreign Financial Assets, co-authored with Dana M. Trachtenberg, Dean Mead Newsletter, November, 2010
- Estate Tax Planning for Personal Residences and Vacation Homes, co-authored with Richard I. Withers, September, 2009
- Year End Estate and Tax Planning for Ranchers, Growers and Farmers, co-authored with Michael D. Minton, November, 2007
- Tax Relief for Sale of Livestock Due to Drought, October, 2007
- Choice of Entity for Agricultural Businesses, co-authored with Michael D. Minton, April, 2007
- Get Green for Going Green, December, 2006
- Charitable Conservation Easements, October, 2006
- Federal Tax Consequences of Citrus Canker Payments, co-authored with Michael D. Minton, February, 2006
- U.S. Tax Court
- Treasure Coast Hospice - Board of Directors, 2017-2020
- Parent Academy of St. Lucie County - Founding Board Member, 2010-2017