W. Lee DobbinsShareholder
Office: Fort Pierce
Mr. Dobbins practices in the areas of zoning, land use and commercial real estate transactions. He represents property owners in the acquisition and development of land, including negotiating complex purchase contracts, due diligence, financing, title issues, closings and obtaining zoning and land use and site plan approvals from the local municipalities. Mr. Dobbins has assisted clients in taking residential, commercial and mixed-use developments from the purchase of raw land through obtaining final development approvals. He also has experience in obtaining economic development incentive grants and tax abatements, resolving utility issues, concurrency, debt restructuring transactions and drafting and negotiating complex commercial leases.
Additional Representative Experience
- Obtained approval of a new zoning category permitting hotel resorts in St. Lucie County. Drafted and negotiated provisions of the County Land Development Code governing site plan approvals for hotel resorts, and allowing for condo-hotels.
- Assisted the developer of a 464 acre biotech research park in annexing into the City of Port St. Lucie and obtaining a land use amendment.
- Assisted the owner of a 400 acre property in annexing into the City of Fort Pierce.
- Assisted the developer of a 90 acre industrial park in St. Lucie County with obtaining a land use amendment, zoning change, site plan approval and development agreement.
- Obtained approvals for several commercial/residential mixed-use developments in St. Lucie County.
- Obtained approval of a 78 unit townhome community in St. Lucie County.
- Obtained approval of a 645 acre aggregates mine in western St. Lucie County.
- Obtained development approvals for two beach front residential communities in St. Lucie County.
- Obtained development approvals for a 1400 acre luxury golf community in the City of Port St. Lucie.
- Obtained development approvals for a 341 acre waterfront community in the City of Port St. Lucie.
- Obtained approvals for two Planned Unit Developments totaling 832 acres in the western annexation area of the City of Port St. Lucie.
- Assisted the developer of a ranch community in Martin County in obtaining development approvals.
- Assisted a company in obtaining approvals and incentive grants to build a new manufacturing plant in Okeechobee County.
- Assisted companies in obtaining state and local government incentives and tax exemptions for expansions and relocations.
Professional and Civic Activities
- The Florida Bar
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section - Member
- Environmental and Land Use Section – Member
- St. Lucie County Bar Association
- Economic Council of Okeechobee
- Leadership St. Lucie
- St. Lucie County Chamber of Commerce
- President - 2002-2003
- Board Member - 1998-2004
- St. Lucie County Economic Development Council - Past Board Member
Charitable and Pro Bono Service
- St. Lucie County Council on Aging - Past Board Member
- St. Lucie County Education Foundation - Past Board Member
- J.D.: University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, Florida, with honors, 1993;
- University of Florida Trial Team, Member
- Associate Research Editor, University of Florida Law Review
- Undergraduate Degree: B.A., Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, 1990
- House Bill 503 - Permit Extensions for Two Years, Dean Mead e-Newsletter, October 2012
- Florida's Ad Valorem Tax Exemption, Dean Mead e-Newsletter, June 2012
- Senate Bill 7207 - Permit Extensions, Dean Mead e-Newsletter, June 2011
- Senate Bill 1752 - Florida Economic Development Legislation, Dean Mead e-Newsletter, June 2010