Martha J. EdenfieldShareholder
Ms. Edenfield focuses her practice on governmental affairs, environmental land use and administrative law. Now in her 30th year of private law practice in Tallahassee, she has gained a wide variety of experience representing clients before the Florida Legislature, the Governor, the Cabinet and state agencies. Ms. Edenfield utilizes her political leadership skills to advocate for her clients and coordinate a legislative team. Ms. Edenfield has extensive experience as legal and governmental counsel for agricultural trade groups, industrial associations, medical professionals and local governments.
Additional Representative Experience
Projects have included significant involvement in the drafting and passage of legislation including:
- Statutory rewrites to modernize the Florida Trust Code, the Florida Probate Code, the Florida Uniform Principal and Income Act, the Florida Uniform Disclaimer of Property Interest Act, the Florida Power of Attorney Act, and the Florida Land Trust Act. Expanding the courts power to appoint a court monitor and creating emergency court monitors.
- Enactment of public records exemptions for court monitors and estate inventories.
- The Patient Self-Referral Act of 1992.
- The 1996 Administrative Procedure Act rewrite.
- The Florida Brownfield Redevelopment Act of 1997.
- Reorganization and rewrite of Part VII of Chapter 373, F.S.,Water Supply Policy Planning, Production and Funding (2010).
- Reorganization and rewrite of Part III of Chapter 479, F.S., Sign Removal (2010).
- Innovative funding options for local governments for improved transportation infrastructure, new sports and recreational venues, stormwater treatment facilities, economic development incentives, brownfield remediation and preservation of conservation lands.
- The nationally recognized statutory protection of private property rights requiring just compensation for outdoor advertising property interests.
- Grandfather provisions for private interests and governmental entities.
- Exemption from regulation under the Florida Insurance Code for private entity.
- Local bills on behalf of governmental entities.
- Agricultural tax exemptions.
Professional and Civic Activities
- The Florida Bar
- Environmental and Land Use Law Section
- Administrative Law Section
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Health Law Section
- Government Lawyers Section
- Tallahassee Bar Association - Member
- Tallahassee Women Lawyers – Past President, Past Vice President, Board Member and Current Member
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers – Member
- Leadership Tallahassee – Member, Class XII
- Capital Women’s Network - Member
Charitable and Pro Bono Service
- Junior League of Tallahassee - Past Board Member (Bylaws and Parliamentarian) and Committee Chair (You and the Environment), Current Sustaining Member
- Keep Tallahassee-Leon County Beautiful – Past Chair and Board Member
- J.D.: Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida, 1984
- Undergraduate Degree: B.S. in Finance, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, 1981
Prior Legal Experience
Pennington, P.A., Tallahassee, Florida, 1996-2013
Akerman Senterfitt, Tallahassee, Florida, 1992-1996
Oertel, Hoffman, Fernandez and Cole, P.A., Tallahassee, Florida, 1984-1992
Recognition & Awards
- 2011 Recipient of the Robert C. Scott Memorial Service Award from the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar
- Recognized among the Top Florida Lawyers in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, 2007, 2009, 2013 and 2016
- Martindale Hubbell: Preeminent AV® Rating
- “Attorney Fees and Costs”, Florida Bar Journal, March 1997
- Ms. Edenfield frequently writes articles for statewide business publications on environmental and administrative law issues
- Florida Legislative Session Agricultural Update – 2017 Special Session A
- Florida Legislative Session Agricultural Update – Week 9
- Florida Legislative Session Agricultural Update – Week 8
- Florida Legislative Session Agricultural Update – Week 7
- 2017 Florida Legislative Session Agricultural Update – Week 5
- 2017 Florida Legislative Session Agricultural Update – Week 4
- 2017 Florida Legislative Session Agricultural Update – Week 3
- 2017 Florida Legislative Session Agricultural Update
- 2017 Florida Pre-Legislative Session Agricultural Update
- Dean Mead Sponsors FOAA 2016 Annual Conference
- 2015 Legislative Session: Final Agriculture Report
- Florida Legislative Post-Session Highlights
- Check out the latest highlights from Tallahassee @ Dean Mead’s Capitol Report
- Senator Thad Altman & Rep. Tom Goodson Speak at FL Legislative Update in Brevard County
- Senator Joe Negron, Rep. Debbie Mayfield, and Rep. Larry Lee, Jr. to Speak at FL Legislative Update – Port St. Lucie
- “Post-Session Highlights” from the 2014 Florida Legislative Session
- Recent Highlights from the 2014 Florida Legislative Session
- Latest Highlights from the 2014 Florida Legislative Session
- Highlights from the 2014 Florida Legislative Session