Anna H. LongOf Counsel
Anna H. Long has been practicing law for over 30 years primarily in the areas of environmental law, land use, zoning and administrative law. Before moving to private practice, Ms. Long held numerous environmental managerial positions including, Director/Counsel for a large building supply company, Manager for Orange County Florida’s Environmental Protection Division, Director of Environment, Safety and Health for the largest semi-conductor company in the northwest and was In House Counsel and Manager of the environmental division of a major private electric utility company with services in nine states. She was also General Counsel and Director of Environmental Services for a multi-state environmental and engineering and consulting firm located in the Northwest.
Ms. Long received a Certificate in Natural Resources from Lewis & Clark’s Northwestern School of Law and is licensed to practice law in Florida, Oregon and Washington. Ms. Long has been very active in the Brownfields Association for a number of years and has served as President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer of the organization, as well as Conference Chair for two of the FBA’s largest attended events. Ms. Long is also an active member of the Central Florida Association of Environmental Professionals, Commercial Real Estate Women, Back to Nature Wildlife Refuge, Central Florida Animal Rescue and Community Vision of Osceola County.
Ms. Long previously served as an adjunct professor at Valencia College and has been a speaker at numerous trade and professional conferences, speaking on a wide variety of environmental and regulatory topics and concerns.
- Represented national big box client in negotiating terms and conditions of environmental resource permits to allow for maximum utilization of property for in fill development.
- Defended numerous code enforcement cases on behalf of large commercial landlords resulting in dismissal and/or significant reductions in proposed civil penalty assessments.
- Represented national telecommunication companies in obtaining land use and zoning approvals for siting telecommunication towers and related structures.
- Represented local media client in submitting required exemption application for operation of an UAV (i.e. drone).
- Represented large regional petroleum transportation company on resolution of terms and conditions of consent and settlement agreements resulting in significant reduction in proposed fines.
- Represented clients in locating suitable properties for small solar farms operations, in conjunction with pilot projects in Central Florida.
- Represented large privately electric utility company in negotiating favorable permit conditions for siting both coal fired and hydro-electric plants resulting in significant costs savings.
- Represented numerous developers in obtaining brownfield designation for qualified properties resulting in significant savings in development costs and construction time.
- Represented local cosmetic and drug manufacturers in obtaining over the counter drug licenses and cosmetic licenses allowing for expansion of core business to service customers/clients throughout the north and southeast.
Professional and Civic Activities
- The Florida Bar – Environmental & Land Use Section
- Orange County Bar Association
- Oregon Bar Association
- Washington Bar Association
- Florida Brownfields Association – Past President, Past Vice President, Past Secretary/Treasurer, Chair of the First Southeastern Brownfields Conference 2014
- Central Florida Association of Environmental Professionals
- Community Vision of Osceola County – Executive Board, Chairman - 2016, Vice Chair Legal Affairs
- Commercial Real Estate Women – Program Committee, Special Events Committee
- Urban Land Institute (ULI) - Central Florida District Council, Program Committee Chair
- Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI).
- Junior Achievement – Classroom mentor
Charitable and Pro Bono Service
- Odyssey of the Mind – Magic Center Regional Director
- ASCE, Central Florida Chapter – STEM Education Committee
- Back to Nature Wildlife Refuge – Advisory Board
- Central Florida Animal Rescue – Advisory Board
- Juris Doctor: Lewis and Clark Northwestern School of Law, Portland Oregon – Certificate in Natural Resource Law
- Graduate School: University of Pittsburgh, Graduate School of Public Health – Human Genetics and Biostatistics
- Undergraduate Degree: University of Pittsburgh, B.S. Biological Sciences
Prior Legal Experience
- Friedman, Friedman & Long, P.A., Lake Mary, Florida, 2014-2015
- Sundstrom, Friedman & Fumero, LLP, Lake Mary, FL, 2013-2014
- Lowndes, Drosdick, Doster, Kantor & Reed, P.A., Orlando, FL, 2001-2013
Recognition & Awards
- Presented with the CREW Orlando "Outstanding Network Achievement" award, November 4, 2016
Ms. Long has been a speaker at numerous trade and professional conferences, speaking on a wide variety of environmental and regulatory topics and concerns, including:
- Real Estate Transactions From A-Z, National Business Institute, West Palm Beach, FL, August 14 - 15, 2017
- Moderator: Selling and Financing of Contaminated Properties: What is the Risk Tolerance of Financial Institutions Regarding Environmental Liabilities?, Environmental Permitting School, Fort Lauderdale, FL, July 19, 2017
- Panel Speaker: Wheel of Regulation: A Topical Discussion on Various Environmental and Land Use Regulations and Approaches for Successful Negotiations with Regulatory Agencies, Fort Lauderdale, FL, July 19, 2017
- Moderator: Selling and Financing of Contaminated Properties: What is the Risk Tolerance of Financial Institutions Regarding Environmental Liabilities?, Environmental Permitting Summer School, Orlando, FL, July 22, 2016
- You, Me, and the Agencies: Techniques for Successful Negotiation Through Complex Regulatory Scenarios, Environmental Permitting Summer School, Orlando, FL, July 21, 2016
- Technical Aspects of the Phase I ESA and Compliance with AAI & ASTM E1527-13. Bonus: the Evolving Use of Drones in Completing a Phase I in Florida and Who Regulates Them?, Environmental Permitting Summer School, Orlando, FL, July 20, 2016
- Moderator: ULI Brevard County Update – Airways Waterways & Parkways, Eastern Florida State College Planetarium & Observatory, Cocoa, FL, March 10, 2016
- Lending Criteria for Property with Environmental Risks, Florida Brownfields Association Conference, Tampa, FL, October 6, 2015
- Use of Drones in the Environmental Consulting Industry, Florida Association Of Environmental Professionals, Palm Beach Gardens, FL, September 24, 2105
- Florida Chamber of Commerce Environmental Summer Permitting School, 20+ years, most recently, 2012- 2014, “Maneuvering Through The Regulatory Process: Permitting, Compliance And Enforcement”
- First Annual Southeastern Brownfields Conference 2014, “Meet the Regulators” and “Hot Topics/Projects in Brownfields Across the States”
- Florida Bar Association, ELUIS Annual Update 2014, “How to Avoid Conflicts of Interest: Does Your Involvement Pass the Straight-Face Test”
- Florida Bar Association, ELUIS Annual Update 2013, “Ethics For Environmental Attorneys & Professionals: Good Reasons/Good Business”
- Solar Farm Leasing Article Published in Farm Credit LEADER
- Nothing but Net
- Preserving Your Power: 10 Tips for Negotiating a Solar Farm Lease
- Anna Long Presents on Real Estate Transactions in West Palm Beach
- 31st Annual Environmental Permitting Summer School
- CREW Orlando Recognizes 2 Dean Mead Attorneys
- New Public Notification Requirements for Pollution Incidents
- 30th Annual Environmental Permitting Summer School
- FAA Publishes Much Anticipated “Drone” Regulations, 14 CFR Part 107
- ULI Brevard County Update – Airways, Waterways & Parkways
- It’s Official – The FAA Will Require Consumer Drone Registration
- Drones: One Registration Number Per Owner
- FDA Finalizes Produce Safety Rule
- UAS Registration Task Force Still Working on Recommendation to the FAA
- FAA Forms Registration Task Force for UAS
- Permit Extensions Available. Act Quickly.
- DRONES: A Whole New World for Real Estate
- Anna Long Presents on Codes, How to Handle Building Officials/Inspectors, Environmental Issues
- Anna Long to Moderate CREW Orlando’s program “Central Florida College Update”
- Drones – The Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) Has Published Draft Regulations. In the Meantime, Do You Have Your Section 333 Exemption?